Sunday, October 5, 2014

Fun, food and companionship at the Down Town Mosque

I was fortunate that I received a notification of this wonderful event through Facebook.  I told my friend Sarah about it and she and I decided to go together to celebrate Eid. Our friend Zahra had not known about it although she often goes to this Masjidt.

The new location of the Mosque was a little difficult to find.  We saw a fellow on the street who looked like he might be Somali and asked him. As it happened, he was himself going to the Festival so we followed him.

We took the Number 8 York bus near my place and here is where we got a little lost.  We should have gotten off directly at York Blvd.  It is near the back door of the Farmer's Market which opens onto York.  Now that we have a better idea of where it is, it will be easier the next time.

I have to say that they had everything very well organized.  Lots of things for young children to do, kebabs for sale, hamburgers and hot dogs, cotton candy, and free sandwich bags of candies for children,

I was looking for my student but did not see her nor her children there.  Mind you, we came after 2 p.m. so they may have been there earlier. I was also looking for that lovely Egyptian lady but did not see her either.

Sarah and I had a good time and chatted with some of the other ladies.  We were frozen by the time the 5:47 bus came to go back down town.  It was well worth it though as we had an enjoyable time together and met others as well.

It took me a long time to warm up and I stayed in the rest of the evening.

Today is Eid day for Sarah so we will spend the afternoon together.

Have a great day.




No comments: