Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A lovely time at the Down town Mosque tonight

My student invited me to come and I was so happy to go. It was the graduation ceremony for the Quran'ic classes at the Mosque.  Similar to Sunday School in the Christian church but instead the children learn Quran'ic Arabic and study the scriptures.

It was most unfortunate that Ellen Jaffe's book launch was on the same day and I had already committed to attending the function with my student.

Sometimes I think it would be great if there were two of me, joke, joke.

I was so happy there and the ladies were very welcoming.  Many people said hello and two ladies practically adopted me which was fantastic of them to do.

I was able to sit on a chair.  It was so great to see all the children so proud of themselves for their prizes in learning and all in all, it was quite well organized.  I brought my big purse so I could put my shoes in it as I know how hard it is to find one's shoes at the end of the evening.

Ladies would come around with cake and muffins and soft drinks all during the affair but the main event after the ceremonies was the BBQ.   I met one of Ibtissaam's fellow countrywoman and she will call me and join us in exploring Hamilton during the summer when she is not working.She is a PSW and works part time in a retirement residence.  (Personal Support Worker).

Another darling lady sat beside me on the floor and although we didn't talk much, we smiled a lot and she was one of the ladies who took good care of me.

At the BBQ she introduced me to her son who had won a prize and both of them were so proud of his achievements.  I also met Ibtisaam's eldest son and her daughters.

It was so great to see Ibtisaam with her little students.  She is such a good person and you could tell that her students liked her very much.

Beaming faces, hugs and kisses were the order of the day, plus yummy food.  I felt so welcome there and the ladies section has been expanded which is a good thing.  I haven't been there for 11 years and it was good to be back.

Young children, both boys and girls, usually stay with their mother during the prayers.

It brought back so many wonderful memories of happy times in the Mosques in Toronto and of all my good friends that I knew there.  That reminds me, I must give some of them a call tomorrow to ask after them.

All in all, a wonderful event and a happy time for me.

Thanks for dropping by.

  

2 comments:

princess-anna said...

it is a nice article and bet you enjoyed every minute at the mosque

Wilma Seville said...

Yes I did, princess-anna. I met some lovely ladies there and was warmly welcomed.