Saturday, August 3, 2013

To catch up

I haven't written anything on the blog for a while.  My excuse?  I have been too busy stuck with my nose in a book, reading to my heart's content.

Sometimes at our local waterfront, sometimes in my own living room.  Reading is such a blessing to me and especially large print books from our local library.

I get "lost" in a book.  I am so grateful for Mrs.Stewart, my Grade 4 teacher in Lachine.  It was she who introduced me to the joys of reading.  For some reason, I just could not get into the regular class reading material and found it very boring and thus shut down my mind and did not learn or appreciate reading.  It was Mrs. Stewart who saw a need for a few of us to have a reading club after school and it was she who introduced us to the  Bobsy Twins book series.  I really got into them as it was a real story with characters I could relate to.  I thrived in this atmosphere and to this day, I remain a committed book worm!

Mrs. Stewart must be long gone from this sphere of existence, as in my young eyes, she was already old when she formed the club.  As an older person now myself, I imagine that she was quite young still but I don't know.   I wish I could thank her for opening up the world of reading for me.  Teachers have such an opportunity to open up new worlds for their students and to get them intrigued about learning.

Not to say all I have been doing is reading.  I also have been cleaning, shopping, dusting, going out with friends, chatting on the phone and Skype and watching t.v. programmes.

I have no idea how the time passes so quickly but it sure does.

Last night I got an unexpected phone call from my friend Mohammad who invited me down to Pier 8 to be with his friend Sami and him.  I happened to be free but got a few phone calls in between and this delayed me from taking the bus down there.  The sky was threatening when I left and opened up just as we three were leaving on the bus to go home.  We took the 8:30 bus home as the last one is at 9 p.m. and it might be too crowded for a walker and a wheelchair.

Sami is very nice and I enjoyed meeting him.  I think I will ask Mohammad to include him in more of our activities.  He has an electric wheelchair and gets around very well because of it.

While I was waiting for the bus to take me down to Pier 8, there were several layabouts who were drinking out of paper bags, one of which was an elderly woman.  I felt very uneasy as they were getting more and more drunk as the time went on.  I had to wait for half an hour before the next bus came as I had just missed one.

When we returned, the woman was sleeping on the pavement and the men were not much better. I felt so sad to see this.

The drinking of alcohol can do so much harm to humans.  Some people cannot stop at just one glass but drink till they are senseless.

Thanks for dropping by.

  

No comments: