Sunday, February 12, 2012

This and that

A good day today.  I really loved the poem on marriage that my daughter sent me.  Her friend sent it to her.

It had some good points in it.

We had a lovely chili dinner (just spicy enough without going overboard) after the annual meeting at church.

A friend of mine had thought that she and her friend might visit me this afternoon, but they were unable to come after all.

I could go out tonight, but I just don't feel like going out again.  I am missing a few nice things lately but winter does not agree with me, especially at night when it is so cold and dark.

I had a nice chat with my son on Skype this afternoon and he gave me an excellent idea for my poor hand to stop the terrible itching.  Take an ice bag and put it on the hand which I tried immediately and it helped a lot.

Lucky for me, I have those bags always in the freezer so they came in handy.

It doesn't solve the problem of "why" but hopefully I can see the dermatologist before my middle of May appointment and relieve some of this awful rash and itching.  Fortunately, it is not contagious but it sure looks  ugly.

This getting older is  not for weak minded people.  Patience is a pre-requisite for growing older as the body gets tired and seems to exhibit more problems than when one is younger.

I imagine it is similar to buying an older model car which has been driven for years.  It could easily break down at an inopportune moment and need a tune up.I guess how we treat our bodies when young will be shown when we age.  Good nutrition is so important for growing children and so many children nowadays live on fast food.  I shudder to think what their health will be when they are much older.

Thus, we humans as we age, seem to need tune-ups more often than before.

However, I still thank God that I have reached this age and, God Willing, will continue on for a few more years.  All that matters really in this life, is enough to eat, clothes to wear, and a decent roof over one's head plus good friends and, if one has saved, a little money in the bank for emergencies.

We come from God and we return to God.  This life is just a temporary measure and we break our backs working like this is the only existence, climbing the ladder of success, getting bigger and better houses or cars and yet, when you think about it, in the not too distant future, we will leave it all behind.  What matters, in my opinion, is how we have treated our fellow humans and animals, how we have cared for the earth, and what we have shared of ourselves with other people.  Above all this, and part and parcel of it, is our remembrance of God and including Him in our daily lives.  It is He who gives us the strength and  courage to carry on and face whatever comes in the future, which thankfully, we do not see.  It is often times a mercy that we cannot see into the future, in my opinion.

I always have loved the old Sunday School song "Brighten the Corner, where you live." and have tried to live that way all my life.  I have failed sometimes but I continue to try and live with that thought in mind.

Thanks for dropping by.










No comments: